Friday, July 18, 2008

Same damn 'lo sweater

Ambrosia- the power of citrus transforms a salad into a meal deserving of the gods. These orange groves are my office right now, abandoned by their keeper, yet still maintaining their charge to yield sweetness. These groves are perhaps among the only changes around Port Saint Lucie since I was here last in 2005, and they have only changed because they were left behind.
This is the Port Saint Lucie Lowe's. It actually may be new, a change, I can't recall. It is, however, directly across the street from the Port Saint Lucie Home Depot, which is right where I left it. I suppose I could have said the same thing about the Chili's and the Friday's, or the... I'll let you make your own inferences.

Highlights this week:

Exodus Coffee and Culture- yes, I suppose they can sell culture out of a strip mall these days. It was open-mic night. I've always felt that if you can't sing, Bob Dylan covers are a good choice. Most of the participants agreed. The black coffee was more than tolerable, and they serve a decent veggie wrap, which featured banana peppers. I'm founding a club based around a shared love for this jarred culinary delight (they don't even have their own proper wikipedia page yet!).


Mumble's Pub- I wish I'd taken a picture of this little slice of suburban heaven. Taking up two or three store-fronts' worth of space in a strip mall up the road from the coffeeshop's strip mall, Mumble's serves chardonnay on-the-rocks to the young ladies and beer to the fellows and those old ladies with leather cigarette-pack wallets. Your mother would probably be ashamed if she had to turn around in the parking lot. The entire bar did sing along when I turned off the country and played "Papa was a Rolling Stone" on the jukebox, so it really can't be all that bad.


The Dark Knight- although this film is by no means a local phenomenon, I did see it in a theatre called "RAVE", and I did get laughed at by middle-schoolers when I walked out alone. I'll always have a soft spot for the 1989 version, since Pops had to convince my mom that it was okay for me to see a PG-13 movie.


Goodwill- A Viewmaster projector with Laverne and Shirley reels? This may be the greatest, most untapped thrift store of all times. Oh, and I suppose there's also this...


2 comments:

GT3K said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acPiy-kjDXE

CeeKay said...

Alot more has changed besides the Lowes..so I'm not sure if you were even looking. Try 2 or 3 new clubs, including The very large "MoJo Room" and upscale "Element", about 10 new stores and around 4+ restaurants not to mention the huge new Crosstown expressway which is hard to miss. Population is up to over 150,000 now as well.